December 6, 2009

Lists and punctuation

I am writing a large document (that will one day turn into my dissertation), and it has many lists. Some of these lists consist of short, partial sentences, others consist of full sentences. Some are itemized, others are numbered. I am feeling this weird (anal?) need to make my lists uniform, but I can't decide if:
  • an item in each list should start with a small or capital letter;
  • each list item should end with a semicolon, nothing at all, or a period;
  • if using a semicolon, should the last item end with a period?
Looking through my document, I tend to have 2 varieties:
  1. The partial sentences start with a small letter and end with a semicolon; the last item in such a list ends with a period.
  2. The full sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period.
The above seems to apply both to the lists that are enumerated and those that are simply itemized.

Dear readers, help. Is there a correct way to do this? Is it acceptable to have 2 different approaches like I have described in a single document?

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

These items should be separated with semicolons if commas would not clearly separate them. For example, right now I am holding my nephew, who is small; typing this note; and keeping an eye on the clock.

I used semicolons because if I didn't, the dependent clause describing my nephew would have looked like another item in the list.

If your lists are bullet pointed, then you should capitalize the first letter of each bullet point, but if not, then it should be lower case. The punctuation of the bullet point list should be the same as the sentence list. So, right now I am
* Holding my nephew, who is small;
* Typing this note; and
* Keeping an eye on the clock.

EcoGeoFemme said...

what Rebecca said.

And yay that you are working on a document that will become your dissertation. :)

lin said...

I would follow Rebecca's advice, it is what they thought me when I was a secretary (once...)

ScienceGirl said...

Rebecca - that rule makes sense! Off to finally making my document uniform - thanks!

EGF - it is surprisingly large already, and it is helping me see what is missing. I have much left to do, but having a plan is nice!

Lin - I am glad everyone is in agreement, not sure what I would do if I got conflicting advice here :)